How Gaming Plays Into Holistic Health
If you want to get to the next level in the game of life, then you might want to look into holistic health. It’s a concept that’s been around for a long time, and it’s not just your typical diet and exercise approach. Actually, it’s all that and more—because holistic health is about getting all the aspects of your life into harmony, including your environment and relationships. Nothing is left out with holistic health, so enjoying your favourite online roulette game
can be just as important as getting quality sleep and nutrition, as long as everything is in balance.
Are you winning at wellness?
Holistic health is based on the idea that optimum wellness is the combination of six kinds of health
: spiritual, emotional, occupational, intellectual, environmental, and physical. If you’re lacking in any one area, then it can throw the others off. Think of how it’s hard to be nice to everyone and get your work done when you’re sick, or how you more emotional when you haven’t been sleeping well. That’s what happens when things are out of balance.
Even if you have a perfect diet and get lots of exercise, you might not feel truly “well” if other parts of your life are suffering. While some of these areas may be out of your control, one easy boost to your wellness can be in the social realm, by finding something you enjoy doing and that brings you joy. For many of us, that can be winding down at night with a few rounds of slots, a Friday poker game with friends, or a relaxing weekend getaway to the casino.
How your favourite games can boost your health
It’s not just the social aspects of gaming that can make it a factor in your holistic wellbeing. Here are seven other ways that gaming is actually good for you.
- Problem solving and strategy: A lot of games require a certain level of thought to play out a strategy and do well. To play a good game of poker, you need to have a strategy, knowing when to fold and when to call, and even having an idea of which cards are still in play. Playing other games, like roulette, can make you think more about statistics, exercising those math muscles you might have been neglecting for a while.
- Stress: Being able to wind down after a stressful day is an important part of wellness. Even if you’re good at managing stress, life will sometimes throw you a curveball. Having a hobby that takes your mind off the things that are causing you stress can help you face problems with a fresher outlook when it’s time to dive back in.
- Memory: Improving your memory skills will give you a leg up in a lot of card games. And memory gets better with practice. If you want to stay sharp, then paying attention to numbers or patterns in a game can give your brain the workout it needs.
- Distraction: Sometimes distraction is a bad thing, but sometimes it helps us. If you’re not feeling well, you’ll probably find yourself sitting around waiting for it to pass. When you’re done with your soup and tired of watching TV, playing an online game is a great way to pass the time. Distracting yourself from negative feelings by doing something entertaining can help you feel better.
- Relaxation: Even if you aren’t too stressed, we all need to relax sometimes. Some people like a good book, some like to walk in the woods. If you never feel more relaxed than when you’re spinning the reels on a slot, then take advantage of that escape.
- Building connections: Playing games that make you work together can help you build connections with other people and encourage teamwork. Whether you just enjoy the same game separately or play as a euchre team, games are a great way to spend time with friends and family.
- Decision making: We make countless decisions every day, from the tiniest details to the lifechanging dilemmas. Many people feel anxious about making decisions, but gaming can help you practice your decision-making skills. Learning to make solid decisions, especially under pressure, can have positive effects in many parts of your life.
It’s worth reiterating that balance is an important part of holistic health. While gaming can have many positive effects, it’s good to do everything in moderation. Go work out your gaming muscles!